Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lies!

So I had some facts wrong in my introductory post, and I felt it necessary to correct them.

1. There are 12 US students in the program, and we're being joined by a few Malagasy students upon our arrival in Madagascar.

2. Our flight schedule is actually 8 hours from JKF to Paris tomorrow, where we have a three hour layover. Then aboard another plane for a 10 (though apparently more likely 12) hour flight down to Antananarivo.

3. We will spend 2 days in Antananarivo. The plan is to meet some of the staff there, and visit a (rather depressing) zoo to get acquainted with some of the endemic species.

4. Our independent research is really only 2 weeks, but we will be doing preparation for it continually throughout the program.

5. Internet is available in the nearby town - about 5 km from camp. We were told to expect to get there about once a week. Not making any promises that I can post that frequently, regardless, but I'll see what I can do/what I have to say.

5b. There is cell phone service there - that seems weird to me - but it's fairly expensive, and I'm eager to be off the grid for a while, so I have no intentions of turning on my phone until I'm back in the US.

Orientation was today, (thus all the corrections) it was a lot of sitting and listening to people talk, but I'm significantly more excited than I had been before. . . which is impressive.

I feel like I should have some catchy end phrase, but I don't. Suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. No catchy suggestions, just thanks for the clarification, and wishing you Bon Voyage Nib!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is really going to be interesting to follow. You're a great writer! I loved reading your introductory post. What an incredible experience. And I'm so glad the orientation got you MORE excited rather than less so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Watch any comments you get from your follower Betty Finneyabowsklnsi -- I hear she's a real spammer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're going to miss you at St. Andrew's Round Up Sunday. But it sounds like you've got some interesting things to do instead . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust me--it will definitely be worth your while to keep this blog, no matter if you can only update it once a week. That way, when 25 people ask you the same exact questions, you can just say, "Well, I don't have time to go into detail, but I keep a blog about my adventures!" That's what I did when I was in England (oh so long ago...) and it worked out wonderfully. I am excited for your adventure and fully intend to live vicariously though you--so do some cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nibs, looks like the weather's been a bit nippy. Hope that cute little tent is keeping you warm enough.
    http://weather.mirbig.net/en/MG/02/1057913_Ranomafana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping to get a new post tomorrow -

    For those who are following, Robin arrived at the village internet cafe last Sunday with her blog post on a flash drive ready to upload, and then found that its MS Word 2007 format wasn't recognized by the 2003 version computer at the cafe. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete